Braden Heidner Lowe & Associates Legislative Monitor Internship ProgramBraden Heidner Lowe & Associates' Legislative Monitor Internship Program is designed for students interested in learning more about the Kansas legislative process. Experience will be gained in multiple facets of the process in the Statehouse, including tracking legislation, advocacy, offensive/defensive strategy, legislative procedure and Political Action Committee management.
Our spring semester internship provides interns exposure to several policy areas, interaction with Senate and House members.
Key intern responsibilities include:
- Attend committee hearings and prepare reports.
- Monitor House and Senate floor action and debates.
- Track legislation relevant to clients.
- Assist with legislative research.
- Learn rules for operating political action committees.
- Voting history research for political action committees.
Legislative Monitor Internships begin in January and typically last through the first week of April. Depending on the specific legislative session, the internships may be extended into May. Internships are paid an hourly wage. If desired by students, BHL can work with university political science department to meet the needs for course credit.
Please send the following to Travis Lowe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter.
- Two writing samples.
- Internships take place at BHL Topeka office with considerable time spent in Kansas Statehouse.
- Typical internships are often from 8am-5pm on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, but we are flexible on other schedule formats.
- Previous related internships are preferred, but not required.
Braden Heidner Lowe & Associates (BHL) is a government relations and association management firm serving clients across the country. BHL has offices in multiple states, with the headquarters located in Topeka, Kansas.
The business name has changed a handful of times through the years, but BHL is the successor of Pete McGill & Associates, the original government relations firm in the State of Kansas. Over time, the firm has added specialties in association management services in Kansas and across the nation.